Sunday, August 29, 2010

DEADLY ZINS

A friend of mine came over for dinner on the weekend and brought me a new wine I've never tasted before - 7 Deadly Zins.

When choosing a wine for dinner, most people will have red wine with meat dishes and white wine with chicken or fish. My friend Sherry bought this California Zinfadel for me because she knows how Halloween obsessed I am and said the name of the wine fit me to a tee.

Image Source

The first thing I found striking about this wine even before I opened it, was the label. The top and bottom edges of the label were burnt, there was a hallow over the number seven, the font was in a blood red colour, and lightly faded it the background of the label were the seven deadly sins. Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, Lust, Greed, Vanity, and Wrath.

This wine is the creative collaboration of Michael and David Phillips. Working with seven of Lodi California's best growers gave their souls and each of their old vine vineyards to contribute to the layered complexity of this fanciful blend. Soft, supple pepper and licorice-clove, notes merge into a sinful marriage of deep, brambly blackberries and lustful cherries. The finish is clean on the palate with hints of rich vanilla, cocoa and mild tannins.

Bottom line, it tastes great and I'm a new fan.

1 comment:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

We love this wine. Our local wine bar starting carrying it for us and it has become a fav. Glad you like it.

Cheers!